Welcome corrections professionals! The Justice Technology Information Center (JTIC) is a clearinghouse for corrections professionals and makes NIJ's Corrections Technology Program available to them. The program identifies or develops and demonstrates affordable, reliable and easy to install, use and maintain technology and has two main components: Institutional Corrections and Community Corrections. More information on NIJ's Corrections Technology Program can be found here:
A secondary goal of the program is to transfer technologies to practitioners by—
- Developing a program that balances the needs of prisons, jails, prerelease centers, parole and probation, using input from correctional professionals and technical experts.
- Stressing technologies that have an application across public safety areas.
- Identifying both available technology that can be quickly transferred and technology that requires multi-year development.
- Demonstrating technology under field conditions whenever possible.
Through JTIC, professionals can find Corrections Technology information in the following categories and subject matter areas:
- Stab Armor and Other Personal Protective Equipment
- Contraband Detection and Other Facility Operations and Population Services
- Offender Tracking and Other Electronic Supervision Technologies
- Assessment Tools and Other Information Technology
- General Corrections Technology
- General Corrections
Read Identifying Technology Needs and Innovations to Advance Corrections by Jack Harne. The article appears in the NIJ Journal, No. 278.